STMicroelectronics’ VNI8200XP is a monolithic eight-channel solid-state relay featuring a very low supply current. It has an integrated serial peripheral interface and a high-efficiency 100mA step-down switching regulator operating in peak current-control mode.
The VNI8200XP IC, realised in ST’s VIPower™ technology, is intended to drive any kind of load – resistive, capacitive or inductive – with one side connected to ground.
The device is very well protected against faults. Active-channel current limitation combined with a thermal shut-down capability, independent for each channel, protect the device against overload.
Additional protection functions on the relay include:
• Protection against loss of ground. The VNI8200XP automatically turns off its outputs in case of ground disconnection.
• Under-voltage shut-down with hysteresis
• Power Good diagnostic indicator
• Output Enable function
• Programmable watchdog
• Case over-temperature protection
The SPI offers selectable 8- or 16-bit operation. Via a Select pin, the user can also choose to operate the device with a parallel interface. Both 8- and 16-bit SPI operations support daisy-chain connections.
The VNI8200XP’s thermal shut-down feature protects the chip from over-temperature and short-circuit events. In overload conditions, the channel turns off and on again automatically after the IC’s temperature decreases below a threshold fixed by a temperature hysteresis. Channels which are not overloaded continue to operate normally.
An integrated step-down voltage regulator provides a supply voltage to the internal indicator-LED matrix driver and logic output buffers, and may be used to supply external optocouplers if the application requires isolation.
- 1A output current per channel
- 5.3mA supply current with all channels on
- 5V- and 3.3V-compatible I/Os
- Fast demagnetisation of inductive loads
- Withstands ESD strikes up to 2kV
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Industrial PC peripheral inputs/outputs
- Numerical control machines