The UJA1169 from NXP Semiconductors is a miniature Hi-Speed CAN System Basis Chip (SBC) suited to a wide range of automotive applications.
Containing an ISO11898-2:201x-compliant HS-CAN transceiver, the SBC provides an integrated 5V or 3.3V Low-Dropout (LDO) regulator supply for a microcontroller and other loads, scalable up to a high output current of 250mA. It also features a watchdog and a serial peripheral interface. The UJA1169 may be operated in Stand-by and Sleep modes at very low currents, with a bus and local wake-up capability.
The UJA1169 comes in six different variants (see UJA1169 Variant Table). The UJA1169TK, UJA1169TK/F, UJA1169TK/3 and UJA1169TK/F/3 variants feature a second on-board 5V LDO which supplies the internal CAN transceiver, and which can also be used to
supply additional on-board hardware.
The UJA1169TK/X and UJA1169TK/X/F are equipped with a 5V supply (VEXT) for off-board components. This supply safely withstands short-circuits to the battery, ground and negative voltages. The integrated CAN transceiver is supplied internally via V1, in parallel with the microcontroller, as shown in the UJA1169 Application Diagram below.
The UJA1169 is designed with a unique fast internal push-pull regulator, offering thermal management via an optional external PNP transistor. The external control loop always remains stable independently of the physical location and characteristics of this transistor. This feature enables a board layout with a long distance between the SBC and the transistor, for better distribution across the PCB of the power that they dissipate, helping to reduce the intensity of hot-spots, as shown in Figure 1.
The UJA1169xx/F variants support ISO 11898-6:2013 and ISO 11898-2:201x-compliant CAN Partial Networking with a selective wakeup function, incorporating the CAN FD-passive protocol.
CAN Flexible Data-rate (CAN FD) has an extension, CAN FD-passive, which allows CAN FD bus traffic to be ignored in Sleep and Stand-by modes. CAN FD-passive partial networking is the perfect fit for networks which support both CAN FD and classic CAN communications. It allows normal CAN controllers that are not able to communicate CAN FD messages to remain in partial networking Sleep or Stand-by mode during CAN FD communication without generating bus errors.
The UJA1169 implements the standard CAN physical layer as defined in the current ISO 11898 standard (in versions -2:2003, -5:2007, – 6:2013). Pending the release of the upcoming version of ISO 11898- 2:201x including CAN FD, additional timing parameters defining loopdelay symmetry are included. This implementation enables reliable communication in the CAN FD fast phase at data rates up to 2Mbits/s.
A dedicated LIMP output pin is provided to flag system failures.
A number of configuration settings are stored in non-volatile memory. This makes it possible to configure the power-on and limp-home behaviour of the UJA1169 to meet the requirements of various applications. The UJA1169 also includes dedicated modes for software development and end-of-line flashing.
UJA1169 short description :
Housed in a small leadless HVSON20 package, the UJA1169 SBC product family offers an HS-CAN interface including CAN FD active communication at up to 2Mbits/s together with an integrated 5V or 3.3V LDO with 250mA output-current capability for microcontrollers or other loads. UJA1169 variants also provide a number of additional functions such as a watchdog, an external 5V sensor supply, selective wake-up for Partial Networking support and more.
FEATURES : UJA1169
- ISO 11898-6:2013-compliant HS-CAN including CAN FD active communication at up to 2Mbits/s and low short-circuit current of 54mA
- Optional Partial Networking and CAN FD-passive support
- Autonomous bus biasing according to ISO 11898-6:2013
- Fully integrated 5V or 3.3V LDO with 250mA output-current capability
- Enhanced thermal distribution with external PNP transistor
- Second integrated 5V LDO providing up to 100mA
- Optional protected 5V sensor supply for off-board usage
- Stand-by and Sleep modes with very low supply current
- Remote and local wake-up capability
- LIMP output to signal system failures
- Mode control via SPI
- Watchdog with Window, Timeout and Autonomous modes and microcontroller independent clock source
- Easy and secure customer-programmable configuration of selected functions via nonvolatile memory
- Support for microcontroller RAM retention down to a battery voltage of 2V
- Leadless HVSON20 package measuring 3.5mm x 5.5mm, with improved support for automated optical inspection, and low thermal resistance
- Full software compatibility with the UJA116x product family
- Qualified in accordance with the AEC-Q100 Rev G standard
- Excellent EMC and ESD performance, compliant with industry standards (IBEE for G5 and SAE)
- Sun-roof control modules
- Seat-control modules
- Gear-shift control
- Transmission-control units
- Midsize body-control computers
- Small headlight modules
- Centre stack modules
- HVAC applications
- Engine-control modules