The LPC4088 from NXP Semiconductors is a Digital Signal Controller (DSC) for embedded applications that require a high level of integration and low power dissipation. Its combination of features makes it particularly well suited to systems which include an LCD screen.
At the heart of the LPC4088 DSC is an ARM® Cortex®-M4 core which offers low power consumption and enhanced debug features. It supports single-cycle digital-signal processing and single-instruction, multiple-data operations. A hardware floating-point processor is integrated in the core. The LPC4088 DSC also provides various memory features:
• A specialised Flash memory accelerator for high performance when executing code from internal Flash
• An external memory controller for parallel memories
• A memory-mapped Quad SPI Flash interface for low-cost, low pin-count and high-performance non-volatile memory expansion
The device operates at a core frequency of up to 120MHz.
The LPC4088 integrates an LCD controller which provides all of the necessary control signals to interface directly to a variety of colour and monochrome LCD panels, including both STN (single- and dual-panel) and TFT panels. It supports a selectable display resolution of up to 1024×768 pixels. Several colour modes are provided, up to a 24-bit true-colour non-palettised mode.
The LCD interface includes its own DMA controller to allow it to operate independently of the processor and of other system functions. A built-in FIFO acts as a buffer for display data, providing flexibility for system timing. Hardware cursor support can further reduce the amount of processor resource needed to operate the display.
Connectivity provided by the LPC4088 includes Ethernet, USB Device/Host/OTG with on-chip PHy, two CAN controllers, five UARTs, three SSP controllers, three I2C bus interfaces and an I2S interface. It also provides two general-purpose PWMs with six outputs each, one motor-control PWM and a quadrature encoder interface.
The device’s analogue peripherals include one 8-channel, 12-bit ADC, two analogue comparators and a DAC. The pinout of the LPC4088 MCU provides pin and function compatibility with the LPC24xx/23xx and LPC178x/7x families.
- 512kbytes of on-chip Flash programme memory
- Up to 96kbytes of on-chip SRAM
- Up to 4kbytes of on-chip EEPROM
- 8-channel general-purpose DMA controller
- SD/MMC memory card interface
- Real-time clock with a separate power domain
- Four low-power modes
- Point-of-sale terminals
- Web servers
- Multi-protocol bridges
- Automation controllers
- Robotics control systems
- Industrial inverters
- Industrial circuit breakers
- Medical scanners
- Security monitoring equipment
- Motor drives
- Media players
- Alarm systems