STMicroelectronics has introduced a series of easy-to-use, low-power modules based on the SPIRIT1 RF transceiver.
The SPSGRF-868 operates in the 868MHz Short-Range Devices (SRD) band, and the SPSGRF-915 in the 915MHz ISM band. The modules provide a complete RF platform for wireless automation and control functions in a tiny package measuring 13.5mm x 11.5mm x 2mm. As well as the SPIRIT1 transceiver, the SPSGRF modules also include an antenna, balun and filter, RF tuning network, power-supply filter and 50MHz crystal.
Designers with no RF experience will find it easy to use the SPSGRF series to integrate wireless connectivity into their end-product. In addition, the burden of regulatory compliance is kept to a minimum: the SPSGRF-915 is an FCC- and IC-certified module, and the SPSGRF-868 carries a CE0051 certificate.
The modules support various modulation schemes, giving users the flexibility to implement the communication method best suited to their application.
These schemes are:
The SPSGRF module provides a data communications rate ranging between 1kbit/s and 500kbits/s.
- Automatic meter reading
- Home and building automation
- Wireless sensor networks
- Industrial monitoring and control equipment
- Wireless fire and security alarms
- Point-to-point wireless links
- Point-to-point and star networks
- Low-power operation:
- 9.7mA Receive current
- -121dBm receiver sensitivity at a 1% bit error rate, even in low-power mode
- Programmable RF output power up to 11.6dBm
- Packet handler
- Internal timers
- Operating power-supply range: 2.0V to 3.6V
- SPI and GPIO interfaces
- 21mA @ 11dBm Transmit power