The MCP73871 device is a fully integrated linear solution for system load sharing and Li-Ion/Li-Polymer battery charge management with AC-DC wall adapter and USB port power sources selection. It is also capable of autonomous power source selection between input and battery. Along with its small physical size, the low number of required external components makes the device ideally suited for portable applications.
The MCP73871 device automatically obtains power for the system load from a singlecell Li-Ion battery or an input power source (AC-DC wall adapter or USB port). The MCP73871 device specifically adheres to the current drawn limits governed by the USB specification. With an AC-DC wall adapter providing power to the system, an external resistor sets the magnitude of 1A maximum charge current while supporting up to 1.8A total current for system load and battery charge current.
The MCP73871 device employs a constantcurrent/ constant-voltage (CC/CV) charge algorithm with selectable charge termination point. To accommodate new and emerging battery charging requirements, the constant voltage regulation is fixed with four available options: 4.10V, 4.20V, 4.35V or 4.40V. The MCP73871 device also limits the charge current based on the die temperature during high power or high ambient conditions. This thermal regulation optimizes the charge cycle time while maintaining device reliability.
The MCP73871 device includes a low battery indicator, a power-good indicator and two charge status indicators that allow for outputs with LEDs or communication with host microcontrollers. The MCP73871 device is fully specified over the ambient temperature range of -40°C to +85°C.
- PDAs and Smart Phones
- Portable Media Players and MP3 Players
- Digital Cameras
- Bluetooth Headsets
- Portable Medical Devices
- Charge Cradles/Docking Stations
- Integrated System Load Sharing and Battery Charge Management
- Simultaneously Power the System and Charge the Li-Ion Battery
- Integrated Pass Transistors
- Integrated Current Sense
- Integrated Reverse Discharge Protection
- Selectable Input Power Sources: USB Port or AC-DC Wall Adapter
- Preset High Accuracy Charge Voltage Options:4.10V, 4.20V, 4.35V or 4.40V
- ±0.5% Regulation Tolerance
- Maximum 1.8A Total Input Current Control
- Resistor Programmable Fast Charge Current Control: 50 mA to 1A
- Resistor Programmable Termination Set Point
- Selectable USB Input Current Control: Absolute Maximum: 100 mA (L) / 500 mA (H)
- Automatic Recharge
- Automatic End-of-Charge Control