The VEML6040 sensor measures the red, green, blue, and white content, and the correlated color temperature (CCT) of the ambient light.
The human eye’s perception of a display is influenced by the surrounding ambient light conditions. A display in an environment illuminated by a tungsten lamp, a fluorescent lamp, or daylight will look different without automatic white balancing. With the VEML6040, the back light of the LCD display can adjust chromatically to provide a white balance in all ambient light conditions. Similarly, the VEML6040 is used in digital cameras for auto white balancing which eliminates unsightly blue or orange color casts. CCT dimming for LED technology is regarded as a difficult task, since binning, age and temperature drift affect the color output. A feedback loop system using the VEML6040 can actively monitor and control the color output of the LEDs.
- Digital cameras
- LED lighting
- 16-bit resolution for each channel (R, G, B, W)
- Temperature compensation from -40°C to +85°C
- Surface mount package with dimensions (L x W x H): 2.0 x 1.25 x 1.0mm
- Selectable maximum detection range: 360, 721, 1442, 2883, 5767, or 11796 lux
- Filtron™ technology provides a spectrum matching real human eye responses
- Supports low transmittance (dark) lens design
- Fluorescent light flicker immunity
- I2C interface
- Operating voltage from 2.5V to 3.6V