Microchip’s MGC3130 is the world’s first electrical field (E-field)-based, configurable 3D gesture controller which enables designers to easily implement precise, fast and robust hand-position tracking and free-space gesture recognition.
Unlike conventional camera-based gesture systems, the MGC3130 can be used in battery-powered products: in its active sensing state, supporting always-on 3D gesture recognition, it consumes just 150μW. Indeed, the MGC3130’s low-power design and various configurable power modes provide the lowest power consumption of any 3D sensing technology,and as much as 90% lower than camera-based systems.
The MGC3130’s precise gesture-recognition capability is attributable to Microchip’s patented GestIC® technology and an on-chip library, called the Colibri Suite, of intuitive and natural human gestures.
The Colibri Suite gives designers a reliable set of common 3D hand and finger gestures that can be easily realized in their products. Such gestures include wake-up on approach, position tracking, flick, circle and symbol.
They can be configured to perform functions such as on/off, open application, point, click, zoom, scroll, free-space mouse-over and others.
The MGC3130 also provides developers with the flexibility to use pre-filtered electrode signals to support additional functionality.
GestIC technology utilises thin sensing electrodes made of any conductive material, such as PCB traces or a touch sensor’s indium tin oxide (ITO) coating, to enable invisible integration behind the device’s housing. This allows for visually appealing industrial designs at low system cost.
Additionally, the technology provides 100% surface coverage, eliminating the blind spots found in other technologies.
- Contactless user interfaces
- Battery-powered consumer devices
- Windows 8-compatible keyboards
- Detection range up to 15 cm which is the ideal technology for products designed to be used in close proximity for direct user-todevice interaction
- 150 DPI, mouse-like resolution and a 200 Hz sampling rate to sense even the fastest hand and finger motion
- Super-low-noise analog front end for high accuracy interpretation of electrode sensor inputs
- Configurable Auto Wake-up on Approach at 150 microwatts current consumption
- Automated self calibration,for continued high accuracy over a product’s lifetime
- 70-130 kHz E-field with frequency hopping to eliminate RF interference, and resistant to ambient light and sound interference